Wednesday, January 24, 2007

ZSAP back in the black



As of Sunday and the successful sale of Zero Sum #6, the Zero Sum Art Project is back in the black. Actually, after the negative balance was accounted for, ZSAP was left with $78.39 to spend, and according to the rules, I've got to spend that down to less than $10 in the next two weeks. We always have to hover around zero! Well, the first $37 of that was spent on those fine stuffed quail you see above. Now, dead birds aren't usually something I would want, much less buy, but the imagery that is starting to evolve with the project is just saying "you need dead birds" to me. So I figured they would be less diseased if I bought them stuffed than if I collected them off of the street. Anyway, squeamishness aside, these were purchased on eBay, so I don't actually have them yet. . . I'm checking that mailbox!

One thing I'm striving for is to make the whole studio process, along with my attempts to follow this set of rules that I invented for myself, as visible to the viewer as possible. Hopefully both the materials and the imagery will evolve, and you will be able to track that evolution. Now, for the time being, I've reached a point where the need for materials is pretty slight - things like tubes of paint, or ink, or whatnot. So, to obey the "must spend it" rule, much of the proceeds will probably go towards acquiring objects of one sort or another that will influence the imagery in the artwork. I'll try to make as many of these purchases on eBay as possible, so that you can follow what I'm looking at and attempting to buy. If you go to the "advanced search" box on eBay, you can do a search by bidder - it's a really nosey little feature where you can see what an individual is bidding on. Anyway, just type zero_sum_art into the bidder's name, and you can see how I'm trying to get rid of the money. It's a strange feature of ZSAP that spending the proceeds is one of the problems to be solved!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter